This next year, there’s going to be so many exciting things happening in our personal lives that will effect how our daily and Sypsie lives run, that we wanted to sit down and really come up with a game plan that would work and help keep everything somewhat grounded. We decided to have some fun with the blogging community and focus on a one word mission, and then throw out some examples.
And the winning word is explore! Because it makes you learn- both through success and mistakes. It challenges you, and it keeps things exciting. It’s completely subjective and completely limitless. And most of all, it’s what we’re going to try to keep in mind throughout 2014 and years to come.
And while we of course would love to lose 10 pounds, eat healthier, get organized and travel like most everyone else, this is more of a to-try list than a new years resolution list. If our ideas don’t work, then they don’t! And if they don’t happen (or only happen for the first month or two coughlikethegymcough) then we won’t beat ourselves up, but we think goals are always awesome and essential to have. Our first goal? Come up with a list of 10, because it seems to be the popular number for lists I suppose!
1. Learn more about photography. Up until this point, the only camera we’ve had to use for our projects is… drumroll please… our iPhones (oh the shame!). We’ve been using them and editing the photos using basic software which served our immediate needs. Now, thanks to my boyfriend Matt, I am the proud owner of a new camera made by Samsung and I can’t wait to explore all of the settings! So far my attempted models have been furniture and my cat, Deke. Sorry iPhone, but you’re so yesterday.
2. Add a post category or two. I had a lot of fun working on our “Christmas Week” and would love to add a regular category or feature to the blog. Rental Tip Tuesdays? Mood boards? Tackle Pinterest projects regularly? I’m still undecided on the exact one, but I’d love to give it a shot!
3. Expand to Michigan features. In college I had an internship that focused on keeping Lansing young, smart and global, and I had the most amazing time coming up with ideas and meeting inspiring people. If my photography improves and I have the time to explore more, I’d love to add in some Michigan love to the blog in any way possible. We’ve got some amazing events, stores and places that are definitely share worthy!
4. Practice with my power tools. It’s still so cold here that my garage is off limits right now, but I want to master those babies and feel totally confident with them. I’m looking at you circular saw.
5. Build things. We’ve so loved making over furniture so far, but I want to expand that to building some of our own! There are so many amazing plans out there that are just waiting to be built, and I want to tackle a few : )
6. Declutter & donate. I already have a huge pile going, but it’s taking it to the thrift store that seems to be the challenge. I always feel so much better without clutter around the house, that I’m hoping that I can add more to that pile, and ultimately bring it to someone who could actually love and use it.
7. Master the texture rule. Naturally after the declutter goal I add a goal about adding more things in the house. But this is one that I’m really excited about! I’ve noticed a trend in my pins and cut out magazine pictures, and it’s they all have multiple textures happening at once. This may be a “duh” to some people, but I’m excited to take on the challenge.
8. Experiment. Wallpaper? Wood paneling? Different paints? I want to try them all and more. There’s no use in being afraid when they are so easily changed if they don’t turn out right! Pinterest inspiration board has officially been created.
9. Add more color. This kind of goes along with the textures and experiment goals, but I’ve noticed a lack of color in my design choices and I’m ready to amp it up. I’ve done the crazy college colors, I’ve done the neutrals. Now I want to take the good parts of both and have some fun.
10. Think of this one as a “do not open until April” when I share more fun news : )
Oh, and if you’re still reading, those changes I mentioned? Well, they’re already happening! After taking an internship and moving home for the past 8 months, Paige is now heading back up to school to finish her degree. This means our little home is now down to just me. I’m going to miss the heck out of her and have had the best time (who get’s to say their sister is one of their best friends and they got to live with them in their 20s?), but girl’s gotta go get that diploma and take on the world!
Sypsie will still be run the same way, but now Paige will be posting from Ohio when she’s able to and is excited to share more college focused and sorority posts. I’ll continue to run the day-to-day and hold down the home front from our ranch until April (hmm goal #10). After that, I’ll be making a big change as well! Except for I’m not telling what yet : )
I’m sure the next few months will fly by, and this list will shift over time, but we’re strapped in and ready for this crazy exploration in 2014!