It’s finally here! The last office into before we reveal the room. And today’s word of the day is… curtains! I know, we already showed you curtains in this room here, but remember these sad looking guys that we took down from the window? Well they’re back!
Just in a different space. Where they can be loved like they should. I’m running on a few hours of sleep- can you tell? No? How sweet of you. Anyways! Back to our story…
The window above is the only window in the room, but there is also a large door wall to play with that needed some major help. Before we attempted to think about curtains, we wanted to fix a yellowing issue.
As you can see, the door wall was recently replaced, and we painted the walls when we moved in. That left the trim (and ceilings and every other inch of trim in the house- but we won’t get into that right now) and it’s yellow aged glory sticking out like a sore thumb.
Luckily, some leftover white paint, some painters tape and 10 minutes later, we were in business!
So much cleaner looking. Next we had to deal with the elephant in the room. Can’t see it? Let me show you a close up.
Not only are these blinds yellowing as well, but they are broken and won’t slide across or twist. Vertical blind fail. So, we started by removing them and hanging a “fake” curtain to make sure that we would like them in the room. We just propped up a long rod with some unused curtains to create the look and sat with it for a bit.
After deciding that we loved the added texture and had some extra white curtains that could now be used (the blue did not match the room nor would be long enough to hang with our curtain rod at the height we wanted it) we (my boyfriend while I nicely handed him tools and did not back-seat-drive the process at all) purchased and hung up our new rod.
Unfortunately the brackets that used to hold up the vertical blinds stuck out more than the rod and would snag the curtains when we closed them, so, we put them back up. Now, instead of the curtains being tied back like we tried with the blue ones, we decided to let them simply hang in an effort to hide the blinds completely. Since we couldn’t tie them neatly anymore, we hung the rod slightly wider than the door wall itself so the curtains don’t interfere with opening the door or block any natural sunlight.
A little hemming with my sewing machine and ta-da!
The curtains are like camo over the blinds and we have a way to keep some heat in this winter!
Now, the originally reason we had to move these long bellowy curtains from the window was because of my dear cat who thought they were his. Knock on wood, he leaves the curtains everywhere else alone and I think he might have been attracted to these because of their length. So, I hemmed these curtains to try to avoid that and might have gone a little nuts with my measuring, because they turned up about 2 inches shorter than I wanted.
Sigh. Regardless, I’m hoping that Deke decides to leave them alone, and if he does, I may add some type of addition in a pop of color or print to the bottom to add a bit of length. All-in-all, we’re happy about they way they turned out and how good they are at hiding those blinds!
Prost to the art & science of disguising rental eye-sores : )