Happppppy New Year! What better way to close off a crazy year but with a little recap, and welcome a new one in with a 2020 project list! We’re sharing where we’ve come from over the last 365 days, to where we’re at, and where we’d like to be in the next year, so let’s get to it!
Basically one for the books. We went through lots of craziness as a family through settling into our new home, adjusting to new work schedules, working on home projects, and lots of fun client work. Oh, and announcing we were pregnant with our second little one while enjoying our spunky toddler, which has taken every single ounce of energy I have, and then some.
But, for the sake of the blog and length of this post, let’s focus on the house project part! Last year we participated in two more One Room Challenges, where we took on our multipurpose den and our master bedroom. Here’s a quick refresher on where we started!
And after less than 6 weeks of work, while trying to keep the project as budget friendly and reusing as much as possible, we ended up with this master bedroom.
There are about a zillion more photos over in the reveal blog post, so be sure to check it out if you haven’t had a chance 🙂
Next up was our den! From dark and dated to a space we love to work out in, play with our son in, and host guests. It was quite the list for one room, but I think everything fit in exactly as we had hoped!
And just like the master bedroom, there is so much more detail over in the reveal blog post!
Two other rooms we tackled smaller makeovers on were our half bath and office space. The half bath got some cosmetic and lighting upgrades, as well as a pop of paint on the vanity and a wallpaper accent wall.
We still have a few items left to do in the half bath (upgrade counters/sink and install a faucet that’s been sitting in the box all year – oops!) but the progress makes it feel so much more like us.
The office is one of my personal favorites in the house so far. I can’t wait to spend more time in here, and recently started a little update on the space (sharing everything over on Instagram as we tackle it!) to refresh a few items.
The dining table as a huge desk/work space has been a game changer, and I love the cozy factor that the dark ceiling adds to balance out all of the white!
Lastly was a huge business accomplishment for us, which was getting published in Better Homes and Gardens! They ran a photo of our old half bath in their November issue and we’re so grateful and excited to add that one to our resume.
Those are just the bigger spaces that we’ve tackled this year, and there have been too many small ones to count! Admittedly I’m better about sharing those smaller details over on Instagram stories, and would LOVE for you to follow along with us over there if you’re not already!
Since we’ve officially said our final cheers (with Welshes Sparkling Red Grape, because, pregnant ha!) to 2019, let’s chat goals and projects that we want to tackle over in 2020, shall we? Maybe we’ll even put some timing goals down too, but I’m going to give myself grace on those as I navigate raising two little boys on very little sleep very soon.
First off, is more back end blog related. I have been working on updating my hosting to make the site experience better as well as reinstating an email subscription list so everyone who wants to be updated about new posts can have that convenience. So, better and easier options for you are coming soon!
Secondly are home projects. Before this baby comes (aka before March 1st) I have a little list, and will be sure to share all of the details over on Instagram, and later here on the blog as they’re getting checked off.
- Finish our entry refresh
- Finish the living room built in
- Phase 1 boys bathroom makeover
- DIY office curtains
- Build kids table (in-progress as we speak!)
- Dream up basement and nursery ideas
For the remaining three quarters of the year, we’re hoping to tackle these spaces:
- Dining room/kid space – We started on this before Thanksgiving, but want to continue by updating the wall trim/organization/furnishings and moving some of the toys down to the basement
- Basement – We currently have a great blank space to work with, but it’s completely unfinished. This will likely be a project we tackle over several years, but we’re hoping to make it more livable (and a total kids space for now) and share inexpensive ways to update basements for anyone that’s in the same spot as us!
- Nursery – This is one we should probably in theory have done before the baby comes, and will be chipping away at it slowly (second baby problems apparently!) but we’ll be finishing/sharing everything for the spring One Room Challenge. As long as our baby has a dresser and somewhere to sleep when he gets home, which luckily are both on order, I’ll be a happy mama.
- Hallway update – Thinking paint, hardware and lighting will go a long way here, and for something that we walk through 10x a day, it might as well be pretty!
- Kitchen cabinets – If you’ve been following along on Instagram, you’ve probably seen our new tile backsplash and molding on the island. Those small updates have helped brighten up the space SO much, but I’m still leaning towards painting the cabinets. This is the biggest up in the air project for 2020, so we’ll keep you updated as we pick out colors and more than likely change our minds 20 times as well 🙂
Those are just the main spaces we want to finish/tackle. I often get completely distracted and start working on smaller projects/refreshes and can sometimes be all over the place, but if that’s how your brain works too, then we should be friends 🙂 I promise to share all of the good and the bad and we’ll have fun on this design journey!
Last but not least is client work! I’ve been tackling a few local projects as well as working with many clients via eDesign and I can’t wait to expand those offerings this year! I’m working through learning a few new systems to expand offerings and can’t wait to start some new projects. I’ll be accepting new clients for the next few weeks and then will resume after the baby is born, so please feel free to reach out if there are any spaces you’re hoping to update this year and think we could be a good fit to work together on!
Prost to another fun year, I can’t wait to get started!